Monday, December 6, 2010

Coconut Bread

Back when I was getting married, I was going through the daunting task of finding the ULTIMATE wedding cake. Fortunately, I worked at one of the hippest hotels in SLC that had the BEST restaurant within it's walls! VERY LONG story short, they had the answer. Ambroisa Cakes. When my mom and I went to taste the cakes, she told us that all of her cakes were made with coconut. I am NOT a huge coconut fan. As a matter of fact, most things that have coconut taste like tanning lotion to me. So, I was a little worried, but not to fear! Coconut in cakes actually keeps the cake moist and holds its shape. We tried it and I was HOOKED! So, now that I have told you all of that, let's move on to the recipe of the day! Coconut Bread! Be careful with this one! It's bound to be addicting and I promise, it does NOT taste like tanning lotion!
2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 teaspoons coconut extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, beat together sugar and vegetable oil. Beat in eggs and coconut extract. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with buttermilk and coconut.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.

COCONUT GLAZE

1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. coconut extract
Combine above ingredients except coconut flavoring and bring to a boil.  Remove and add extract.  Pour over bread before serving.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...