Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Morning Tradition.. Swedish Pancakes

Christmas when I was young was truly amazing.  We would pile EVERYTHING in the car and head south to my Grandma's house in Provo, UT.  Tradition permeated her home, and the spirit in her home was something that I will never forget.  The entire family was together and we did the same thing every year.  We would watch either It's a Wonderful Life or the Christmas Story with Ralphie like it was the first time we had ever seen them.  Then we would head to midnight mass at her church, where we would pass a lighted candle so that everyone was holding the new light and life of Christ.  Followed by a Christmas message and the congregation singing O Holy Night.  We wouldn't get home until 2 or 3 in the morning.  

My grandma would have been cooking for days to get ready for Christmas Eve, Christmas morning and Christmas night dinner.  Although, her tradition on Christmas Eve was serving Okra Stew of some sort, it was NEVER really popular, so I won't share the recipe, hee hee.  But I do remember Christmas morning!  It was filled with more Ebelskivers, Swedish Pancakes and bacon than you could ever imagine. 

So here it is... Something that reminds me of my Grandma Mary, who by the way, I miss her terribly, especially at this time of year.  Enjoy!
SWEDISH PANCAKES
Beat 2 eggs just to blend, add 1 cup of light cream.  Sift in 1/2 cup sifted flour, 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.  Beat until smooth with rotary beater.  Let stand 1 hour so batter thickens.  Heat skillet to 375 degrees or until drop of water dances on the surface.  Butter lightly.

Beat batter again.  Use 1/4 cup batter for each cake.  Brown on both sides.  (It may be difficult to turn pancakes, so loosen edges with a spatula and lift pancake with fingers.)  Roll pancakes and serve with fruit filling, berry syrup or good old fashion maple syrup.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  If you are serving a large crowd, place finished pancakes on an over proof platter, cover and turn oven on to 250 degrees to keep pancakes warm.  You may need to double or even quadruple this recipe!  Wink Wink!!
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR CHRSITMAS BREAKFAST OR DINNER TRADITIONS!  Comment and share!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband's family always makes prime rib for Christmas dinner. The last time we were there they smoked it all day. We also had homemade rolls, asparagus, fruit, potatoes...It was one of the best meals I've ever eaten!

Sara B. Larson said...

I did a post on my author blog about my Christmas memories with FarMor (my Swedish Grandma!) just last friday. Her swedish pancake recipe is quite different from this one, but this post made me miss her even more as well. :)

Anonymous said...

My family would do a Christmas fondue. However not the norm you would expect; it is the one day of the year where we get fondue pots and peanut oil and cook everything from mushrooms to shrimp,chicken and steak. Not the healthiest however it usually takes us two hours and that is the longest time we spend at the table.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...