Saturday, November 20, 2010

Perfect Thanksgiving turkey..... I mean Prime Rib?!

That's right! Who serves PRIME RIB for Thanksgiving?!  My in laws.  That's who!  As I told you awhile ago, I am not a super traditionalist, BUT I do expect turkey on Thanksgiving.  So you can imagine my surprise 9 years ago at my first Thanksgiving dinner in the Elggren household and they were cooking a Prime Rib Roast, IN ADDITION to Turkey! 
Well, as I am preparing to make Thanksgiving dinner for my side of the family this year, I heard my husband on the phone asking if he could come get some prime rib from their house on Thanksgiving day!  Silly man! 

3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
1/3 cup orange marmalade
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1 cup beer (the darker the better)
1 (8 pound) prime rib roast
1/4 cup olive oil
freshly ground black pepper

Mix together the ginger, marmalade, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, hot sauce, and mustard. Stir in the beer. Prick holes all over the roast with a 2 pronged fork. Pour marinade over roast. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, basting at least twice.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place roast on a rack in a roasting pan. Pour about 1 cup of marinade into the roasting pan, and discard remaining marinade. Pour olive oil over roast, and season with freshly ground black pepper. Insert a roasting thermometer into the middle of the roast, making sure that the thermometer does not touch any bone. Cover roasting pan with aluminum foil, and seal edges tightly around pan.

Cook roast for 1 hour in the preheated oven. After the first hour, remove the aluminum foil. Baste, reduce heat to 325 degrees, and continue roasting for 1 more hour. The thermometer reading should be at least 140 degrees for medium-rare, and 170 for well done. Remove roasting pan from oven, place aluminum foil over roast, and let rest for about 30 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...