Monday, November 15, 2010

Not your everyday Thanksgiving....

THANKSGIVING. I truly love this holiday.  Wonderful food, family, friends and a nap if you are lucky!  Followed by Black Friday early morning shopping!  WOO HOO! But that's another post for another blog, right?!  I love the traditions associated with it, however, I am by no means a traditionalist when it comes to the menu.  I will do a turkey for turkey day, (how can you NOT?), but I love to shake everything else up a bit.  I also want to cut time and effort whenever possible, and NO I am not lazy! (wink wink). 

So it begins... The week and a half of non traditional, time saving Thanksgiving recipes! Whether you are cooking the entire feast, or just bringing a side, I hope at least ONE of these new recipes that I have found works for you and your loved ones! ENJOY!

(recipe and picture from here.)
Slow Cooker Sourdough and Wild Rice Stuffing
8 cups cubed sourdough bread

3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
1/3 cup dried porcini mushroom pieces
3 medium celery stalks, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup chicken broth

Heat oven to 300ºF. Spread bread cubes in single layer in large roasting pan or baking pan. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly toasted; set aside.
Place 3 cups broth, the wild rice and mushrooms in 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat setting 3 hours.
Add remaining ingredients except 3/4 cup broth to wild rice mixture. Add bread cubes. Pour 3/4 cup broth over bread mixture; toss gently. Cover and cook on low heat setting 4 hours to 4 hours 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Jill said...

You are crazy! The recipe looks super yummy, but I dare not shake up Thanksgiving dinner. I look forward to the same thing every year, since it only gets eaten that once!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...