Monday, November 29, 2010

Peanut Brittle

Did you know that Peanut Brittle is was the first candy ever made into a real recipe?!  The recipes can be found back into the early 17th century. You learn something new everyday! Useless, but who knew?

Peanut brittle reminds me of my grandma's house.  I truly I don't even know that she liked it, I'll have to ask my dad, but it was always there during the holidays.  It's location was as predictable as the Christmas tree, right in the middle of the table. Christmas time at my grandma's was unlike anything else.  The smells, traditions and family.  It still gives me goosebumps and I truly wish I could go back in time!   I love Peanut Brittle for many reason, but the top reason, is it's yummy and super easy to make!

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 cup peanuts
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon baking soda

Grease a large cookie sheet. Set aside. In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanuts. Set candy thermometer in place, and continue cooking. Stir frequently until temperature reaches 300 degrees F, or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard and brittle threads.

Remove from heat; immediately stir in butter or margarine and baking soda; pour at once onto cookie sheet. With 2 forks, lift and pull peanut mixture into rectangle about 14x12 inches; cool. Snap candy into pieces. (If someone in your home has an allergy to peanuts, you can use cashews or pralines.)

1 comment:

Jill said...

Love it!! And I really love useless knowledge, you better believe I'll be spouting off this little gem during the holidays! I get so nostalgic during the holidays, and really wish I could go back in time to my grandma's house on Christmas Eve/Day....such amazing memories! And we always had the token bowl of peanut brittle too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...